6/12/15

Misc.- And Sunday, June 14th Is Flag day

I feel like the character in Sam I Am.
I have always said I don't like salads but thanks to my friend Susan R., I found out I love them!  She made a salad with eleventy-eight hundred vegetables in it.  The key is, they were all DICED.

I made myself a salad with 9 vegetables in it; green onions, red bell pepper, green leaf lettuce, cauliflower, cucumber, spinach, broccoli, carrots, and a tomato.  And I always have said I don't like raw vegetables- I prefer them cooked!  I think the problem with other salads is you have to try shove a huge piece of lettuce in your mouth and that's all you get.  Or you get a big mouthful of dry broccoli.  With this salad you get a forkful of many different vegetables all at once!  Now I am a HUGE fan of salads!  Although, technically, this may be more of a relish?  But boy howdy is it good. :)


We had a visitor last Tuesday evening down by Bill's shed.




From that article comes this quote:
"An opportunistic feeder, it will eat many things including lizards, birds, mammals, frogs, bird eggs, and snakes (including rattlesnakes)." 
Bill had been walking down to the shed and saw some quail acting very unusually.  He went closer and noticed they were trying to distract this snake away from their babies.

This is the second time we have seen him.
He needs a name.....
But I haven't thought of a good one yet.
Maybe Reginald or Leroy....


I have been noticing on my new Ziploc bags that there is a raised portion on one side of the opening.

  I was wondering if they were a defect but then one day....I thought that maybe they had intentionally made them that way so they would be easier to open.

I looked on the package.  SURE ENOUGH!  I can't believe it.  Are we becoming that helpless and weak that we can't even stand a little frustration over getting a bag open????  WHAT is this world coming to? 


Summer has finally arrived this week.  We have had lower than normal temps.  Now the sun is strong enough that I have to put some shade over the clothesline to prevent against sun rot.  Or sudden rain drops....

It's so odd this year.  We have been getting rain about every other week- and sometimes even every week!  I remember in recent years we have had periods of 90+ days with zero precipitation.


This Sunday is Flag day. Every year around this time I like to replace the flag on our front porch because after a year it starts to look dirty.  I had wanted to replace the pole last year because the top half was all discolored.  Then I decided I would maybe paint it this year but when I took it off, I noticed that it was just a plastic sleeve over the pole that had gotten all sunburnt.

I broke that off and now it's all silver.  Crazy how I have never noticed that sleeve- especially when I have had to bring the flag in many times because of violent storms!  Now my new flag doesn't have to hang on a nasty old pole.

Isn't she beautiful!!!

And I will leave you with an observation from my 3 year old grandson.
He had put a flag into the end of a broken fishing rod and then told me...


Sometimes there's an eagle at the top.

He stares at you.


:)))))))