5/23/15

This Week

It has been so beautiful this spring. It will warm up for a couple of days and then get cool again. I have been wanting to get some yard work done and I figured I better finish up this week because this cool weather won't last.

But, FIRST, I needed to go to the grocery store......

On Sunday my husband said,
"Well, if your goal is to empty the fridge, you're almost there....."
I had some meat in the freezer but in the fridge I only had eggs, feta cheese, parsley, carrots, lemons and limes, 2 more kinds of cheese and 2 packages of bacon. Could have been an interesting casserole..... ;))))

And on to the chores....
I worked on the front yard first.

The center of our new circle driveway was looking pretty sorry so I cleaned that up.




Now you can actually see all of the new plants that Bill dug all those holes for!

Next I worked on what will be the steps area up to the porch.

I cleaned it out and then hauled up some wheel barrow loads of river rock and gravel. Looks a bit more welcoming even without the steps. I hope to start working on those next week!

Next project.
I have had a snake plant in this pot for at least 5 years.
It was looking pretty pathetic.
Not sure if I killed it or not but I dumped the whole thing out and selected a few of the best looking ones and put them in a new pot.

Sure hope it lives! These are one of my very favorite plants.

Also this week, my daughter sent me a text wondering....

....how she has EVER got by in life without one of these?????
Nope. I didn't offer to make her one. 

Instead I did another yard project.

Because I wasn't feeling well this spring, I decided I would not plant a garden this year. Bill went and put in a few seeds but the garden was a mess.  



 I don't know what all he has planted, but for sure green beans and carrots.

There. Now his plants don't look so woebegone. :)

And the best part???? In AZ you usually only have to weed ONCE and you are done til next spring! :)))))

And as a reward for myself...
I planted some of my favorite flower seeds. Zinnia's and giant marigolds.

 I also had some sweet potatoes that were a bit past their prime. My daughter says they grow like weeds here. So I followed her advice. I broke off the sprouts and plunked them straight in the ground with just a bit of the top leaves exposed. We shall see if they grow.

Also this week, I have been working on making tassels out of felt and yarn.
I want to make a garland. I am following this tutorial:  http://www.thehandmadehome.net/2014/11/make-tassel-garland-felt-yarn/

And now it's Memorial Day weekend. 
I hope you have a fun weekend planned with your loved ones and on Monday, whatever you may be doing, revel in the freedom and lifestyle that our countrymen died to preserve. 
source
source
Remembering those who gave their all.