5/20/15

Landscaping......

I have had this post sitting in draft for weeks. Like, four weeks....Since then I have added a lot of other posts in draft. Time to finish editing all of them and hit PUBLISH. :)


When I had my appendectomy, my surgeon told me after two weeks, I could pretty much do what ever I felt up to. I was feeling stupendous after being sickly and tired for two months- getting rid of that appendix made me feel like a million bucks! So I decided to I would landscape the back yard. I went to a local desert nursery and picked up a bunch of 1 and 5 gallon plants and spent the next day arranging and rearranging them in the backyard.


The next day, I had them all set and I was planning on starting to dig and then I thought- why not do the front yard too!!!! So back to the nursery I went. After I got home and unloaded the truck, my stomach, which had been getting progressively more sore, started hurting too much to ignore. I figured I would take it easy over the weekend and then start planting Monday. It was still hurting pretty bad the next Wednesday so I made an appt with my GP. He laughed and laughed. You did WHAT? And now I suppose those pots are staring at you out in the yard?  Well it's going to be a LONG time before you can do anything now..... Thankfully, I hadn't torn any stitches.... I just had a lot of bruising and swelling. (Bill told me one of the 5 gallon buckets I had bought probably weighed almost 60 lbs. I had NO idea they were that heavy. But I think that one had a lot of rocks or something in it.....)
My ever patient and loving husband dug TWENTY SEVEN holes and planted them for me!!!! (No, I did not buy 27 plants- I had been saving up some plants and cuttings waiting for the yards to get ready.) I was so embarrassed because this was MY project! And now he had to do it for me.....Poor guy. As if he had nothing else to do on a Saturday but dig 27 holes. :(

So for 6 weeks after that I laid around. In between resting with ice packs I worked on projects and stuff. I was so glad I had forced myself to do that big January purge because then I could relax enough to do that!
I accomplished a lot!

I made a garland of little yarn pom poms!


And another one of big pom poms!

I read the Anne of Green Gables series. (For the first time ever!)

I ate dessert!


I made all of these puzzles!

I almost finished my crewel kit!
Thankfully I started on the right hand side because by the time I got to that big flower on the left I had learned progressively harder stitches.

This last stitch was so hard to learn. And hard to do. Lots of hand cramping....

These directions were so confusing so I did a computer search on how to do it. NOTHING. I was on my own. I guess this truly is a dying art. But I persevered and DID IT. At least, I think I learned it....

I was sure that since my appendix hadn't killed me, this flower surely would. 
I told my family to just write on my tombstone....

It Was That Flower.