2/11/15

1950's Cooking

I may be a tetch odd.

When I get a new cook book....
 I READ IT FROM COVER TO COVER.

Maybe? Please, please? Surely I am not the only one who does this?

One day Bill brought home the first cookbook published by Betty Crocker.

It's been so interesting.
It was published in 1950. I am only a fraction into it...

I'm reading about Quick Breads right now. :)


But I wanted to share a few things from the beginning of the book on
HEALTH and NUTRITION.

Did you know?.....

There are

Seven Food Groups!?!

And one of the seven is BUTTER.

For reals!


I don't like margarine but otherwise, I really, really love Food group 7!!!

AND Vitamin D is stressed heavily.

About 6 or 7 years ago I went to see my Dr to get my thyroid checked. I told him I was dragged out and feeling like the zest of life was gone and everything was too much work- whether it was going somewhere, doing something, or making a decision- so my thyroid MUST be slow. When the blood work came back everything was normal.... except my vitamin D levels were quite low! He said that is very strange because he said my skin was tan, so obviously I did spend quite a bit of time in the sun. I told him I don't even wear sunscreen because I detest it! He told me to get a good quality, liquid type of vitamin D from a health food store. Within a few days of taking a supplement...
Boom! I felt great.


Another interesting excerpt from the cookbook...

Especially note the 'adolescents'. Nowadays they are considered obese. The goofy government standards of obesity drive me nuts. I recently went to the Dr and my BMI is 26. That qualifies as "overweight but not quite obese". Ridiculous! I think in defiance I'm going to add more of Food Group 7 to my diet.... :)))))) 




~~~~~~~~

And speaking of cooking and kitchens,
And feeling NOSTALGIC...

I had saved this picture in my kitchen inspirations because....

 I love that hardware! (I love that beautiful grandma too!)

So anyway, I looked at my sink cupboard and decided to give it a whirl.

Before:


After:

Hmmmm.....getting close!
I switched out the handles and tried out these false hinges. (my cabinets are not inset so I can't use real ones) I used Command Strips to temporarily hold everything on while I think about it.

But I think the hinges need to be bigger....
I looked around online and it looks like I might be making a trip to Lowe's soon!