7/25/14

The Bucket of Doom


I can't believe that a couple of years ago I thought chipmunk's were so adorable.
It took me ages to capture this photo of one drinking from the bird path.
Since then, they have moved down in my opinion to the level of rat.
Infuriating, ugly, nasty rats.

They are constantly digging holes around the trees after I water them.

Same with the bushes that are irrigated. When it's hot they dig down until they reach damp soil and then they lay down in the coolness. Except, they expose the roots and the plant suffers.

They have started doing it to my pots too.

And this is the mess every day.
They throw all of the mulch out and dirt flies everywhere too.
I had had enough and set rat traps out but Bill said I might catch birds so he had me put out the Havaheart trap- which is that metal thing sitting there. Everything was going swimmingly except, then I had a live chipmunk in a trap. I couldn't just open the trap and throw the carcass. I would have to drive down the road aways and let it out. I caught two this way and figured I was in business, but then... I was reading on line and they have been known to come back after being let go as far as ¾ of a mile away. Plus, after the second one it got tiresome. And they seemed to be multiplying at an alarming rate. Sometimes there would be two in my pots in the front yard, some more in my pots in the back, plus several more around the yard. Things are getting serious- so now I will try....

The Bucket of doom

Heh. It's an idea from a Bing search....
Quote: *Reader Tip* Several readers have had success with the "bucket method." Here's the original tip from Jonathan: "You can get a bucket of water and float sunflower seeds at the top. Make a ramp to get to the bucket. It's a foolproof method: the chipmunk cant get out."
Bwahahahahahaha. The bucket of doom! I love it! That is what someone else in the comments called it and it's PERFECT. Those vile creatures are on my list. They shall "sleep with the fishes!" And this solution seems to be bird safe.

Read more at: "How to get rid of chipmunks"

Now. Just because I beat rattlesnakes with boards and sentence hornworms to certain death, that might give some people the impression that I'm an animal hater. NOT TRUE. I only hate the varmint type. And they started it.

Okay, I'm off to find a bucket, tra-la, tra-la.