10/23/14

A Prize And Arm Wrestling

I bought myself a prize!

I have been looking for a hand-sewing project and decided I wanted to try a crewel project. Preferably a vintage style one. I haven't done any hand work in years and years. When my kids were babies, I used to do cross stitch but then I got tired of all those teeny tiny X's.

After looking at Jo-Ann Fabrics and not finding any, I came home and searched on the internet for more choices.
I looked at Jo-Ann's, Michael's and Hobby Lobby.
THEY DON"T SELL THEM ANYMORE!
Not even real crewel kits of ANY type- vintage style or not. They are all mostly stamp printed backgrounds with a small amount of actual crewel work!

So I started watching eBay.
And finally found one so I quickly ordered it before it sold.

 This photo is from the eBay site.


Here is the description:


It's not quite what I was looking for but VERY close. I wanted it to have orange, yellow, and red flowers on a neutral background in a 60's or 70's style. This one sorta has fall leaves in it too but I decided it didn't really matter.

When it came in the mail I was so excited!
Then I realized I need an embroidery hoop. :(

But until I get one....
I have LOTS to do to keep me busy....

I need to sort three types of yarn into 17 colors....

And learn 20 of 22 stitches....
Zowie.
All I have done is the straight stitch and cross stitch.

Hahahaha!

It looks like this will keep me busy and then some...
for the next 10 years!

Possibly? I should have bought a small one? to start off with?

BUT WHAT WOULD BE THE FUN OF THAT!?!?






Our Arizona State Fair is open and I saw something intriguing on their web site....

United States Arm Wrestling Championships

Say. What???
I used to be a champion arm wrestler. Well. At least a little bit. In my circle of friends...
It says it's open to men and women....

"Prizes include the potential for earning a national ranking, as well as trophies."

NATIONAL RANKING??? TROPHIES???

"FREE with Fair admission. Registration begins at 11:00am, with competition starting at 1:00pm."
And it's FREE???

source
Bah! Those boys don't stand a chance!

Who's game! Who's up for a little arm wrestling!!!!!!

Bwahahahaa! My arm would be squashed in seconds.
It sounded like fun for a couple of minutes, though. Until I came to my senses.
It's, um, been a while since I did detasseling.....

But if YOU want to try, here's the info:
https://azstatefair.com/attractions/united-states-arm-wrestling-championships